Name Change

George Fox requires students to use their legal names in university data systems. This ensures that enrollment verifications, transcripts and diplomas all reflect the legal name for each student.

Students and alumni can notify us of a legal name change by submitting a Name Change Form to the registrar's office along with proper documentation displaying the new name – either a copy of a Social Security card, an IRS Form W-9S, or (for international students) a passport.

Upon verification, staff will update a student's name in the data system for use throughout the university. See the Academic Catalog for more information about George Fox University's student name policies.

Preferred Name Update

For a non-legal name change or update, students and alumni can update their preferred name (a.k.a. nickname) through their MyGeorgeFox account by following these instructions:

  • Sign into your MyGeorgeFox account at
  • Under "Student Resources," click on "Student Center"
  • Scroll down and select "Personal Information"
  • Click "Names"
  • Click the "Edit" button next to "Preferred Name"
  • Enter the desired information
  • Verify and "Save"