F-1 Employment

Information Guides/Applications

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is employment authorization that is available to F-1 students who have been enrolled full time for at least nine consecutive months. You must fill out a CPT Application to be eligible. Here are some guidelines regarding CPT.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Per the government F-1 visa rules, students can request authorization to work off campus to gain experience in their chosen field of study. This Optional Practical Training must be directly related to a student’s field of study.

If you need to update your address or employment information, use this OPT Update Form.

Applying for a Social Security Number

We have provided a document on how to apply for a Social Security number. Use it as a resource as you pursue employment opportunities. You can also learn more about Social Security numbers on this International Students and Social Security Numbers page.

Employment Guidelines for F-1 Students

On-Campus Research, Internship or Job

Off-Campus Research, Internship or Job

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Economic Hardship

Social Security Number (SSN)