Academic Appeals

Academic Appeal Procedure

Certain criteria for appealing decisions made by a professor or committee are presented elsewhere throughout this handbook. In all other situations for which a formal appeal process is not specified, an appeal should first be directed to the department chairperson or program director. If the student is not satisfied with the decision given by the chairperson or director, he or she may then appeal to the school dean by filing a written statement of particulars. The dean will confer with the individuals involved and seek a satisfactory resolution of the problem. If the problem cannot be solved in this manner, the dean may make a decision on the matter, or, at his or her discretion, may refer it to the university provost for a ruling.